|WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Mark Amodei (NV-02) made the following statement after voting for the Limit, Save, Grow Act of 2023, legislation to lift the debt ceiling into next year as well as limit Washington’s irresponsible spending, save taxpayer dollars, and grow the economy.
“Our national debt is at an all-time high, exacerbated by two years of the President’s reckless spending sprees. We are now faced with the following choice: kick the can further down the road at the expense of future generations or make smart financial decisions now. I choose now.
“As a fiscal conservative, I believe that raising the debt ceiling must be done in conjunction with measures to cut political agenda spending. That’s why I am pleased to support the first step in returning to sanity – legislation that will limit spending, save taxpayers trillions of dollars, grow our economy, and lift the debt limit into next year.
“As usual, rather than working with the House majority on a reasonable solution to our nation’s debt crisis, President Biden’s handlers along with Senator Schumer have demanded that Congress raise the debt ceiling without implementing any changes to how the government spends and borrows trillions of dollars.
“The status quo is unreasonable and irresponsible. An increase in the debt limit without spending controls would only schedule another debt crisis on the American people’s calendar.
“Now that the House majority has delivered on responsible debt ceiling legislation, it’s time for Senator Schumer and President Biden to put partisan brinkmanship aside and act like political adults instead of playground rock throwers.”
The Limit, Save, and Grow Act includes the following provisions:
· Return FY24 non-defense discretionary spending to FY22 levels.
· Rescind unspent COVID money.
· Prohibit Biden’s student loan forgiveness proposal.
· Repeal some ‘Green New Deal’ tax credits.
· Eliminate funding for the 87,000 new IRS agents charged with shaking down families and small businesses.
· Restore work requirements to lift Americans out of poverty.
· Enact H.R. 1 to lower energy costs.
· Responsibly lift the debt limit through March 31, 2024, or by $1.5 trillion.