(Congressman Mark Amodei) – There is no denying that illegal immigration has long been an issue in this country. However, thanks to President Biden’s open-border policies, the situation at our southern border has become a humanitarian and national security crisis. And with Title 42 ending today, this crisis is about to go from bad to worse.
That’s why I was proud to support the Secure the Border Act, legislation that offers commonsense solutions to restore sanity and security at the border. For years, I have been talking about the need to pass comprehensive border security legislation and I am happy that House Republicans delivered.
Instead of working with Congress to address this crisis, the President has already stated that he will veto this bill should it reach his desk. He would have you believe that his inaction is the more compassionate solution. This is wrong and dangerous.
It is not compassionate to ignore the large amounts of drugs coming through the border and killing Americans. It is not compassionate to embolden desperate migrants to make a journey where they could be raped or killed. And it is not compassionate to neglect the needs of law enforcement patrolling the border – most of whom are overwhelmed and stretched to their limit.
I urge the President to change course and get behind this legislation because failure to act will continue to be catastrophic.
H.R. 2 will do the following:
- Force the Biden Administration to restart construction of the border wall.
- Deploy technology to the southern border.
- Increase the number of Border Patrol agents and provide bonus pay.
- Strengthen current law to protect unaccompanied children from human trafficking.
- End catch and release.
- End the abuse of executive immigration authority.
- Strengthen and streamline the asylum process.