The Republican candidate for Nye County Clerk is Mark Kampf, he is currently filling in as County Clerk after Sandra “Sam” Merlino resigned because of the vote to move to paper ballots. Kampf also did a stint as Treasurer when John Prudhont resigned in April and held that post until treasurer-elect Raelyn Powers could assume office early after her Primary win.
Kampf is a Certified Public Accountant and he believes his experience in both the public and private sectors will be an asset as Nye County Clerk. Kampf says he will work to make the office more efficient and cost-effective if elected. His opponent is Nonpartisan Darryl James Lackey.
Nye County uses an appointed county manager system of government which gives the county clerk considerable authority and responsibility including:
- Acting as the chief elections officer for Nye County
- Preparing meeting agendas and minutes for the Nye County Commission
- Administering oaths of office
- Maintaining custody of all real and personal property records
- Filing and preserving all Nye County ordinances, resolutions, and contracts
- Coordinating Nye County’s public information program
- Serving as the ex-officio clerk for the Board of Commissioners, Board of Equalization, and Debt Management Commission for Nye County
- Preparing and distributing the Nye County Commission meeting warrants
- Maintaining Nye County’s official website
- Overseeing Nye County’s records management program
- Acting as Nye County’s human resources director
- Coordinating Nye County’s risk management program
- The Nye County Clerk also serves as Clerk of the Fifth Judicial District Court and maintains the Court’s records. Public searches are performed by the Clerk’s Office staff which is not accessible to the public online.
Kampf says he is committed to making the Nye County government more efficient, effective, and accountable to the taxpayers.
More importantly, Mark Kampf has promised he will ensure election integrity by moving to paper ballots for this election. Nye County has been using electronic voting machines for years, but there have been concerns about the integrity of these machines. In March, the Nye County Commission voted unanimously to move to paper ballots for the 2022 election. Kampf says he will make sure this transition is smooth and that Nye County has a secure, accurate, and reliable election.