Some things are worth waiting for. Justice is one of them.
On Wednesday, May 20, the Trump administration made history. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche stood at Miami’s Freedom Tower — a building that symbolizes the hopes of Cuban exiles — and announced that former Cuban President Raúl Castro had been indicted by a federal grand jury.
The charges stem from the Cuban military’s fatal downing of two civilian planes on February 24, 1996. That date is burned into the memories of thousands of Cuban-American families.
Four men died that day. Their names deserve to be remembered: Carlos Costa, Armando Alejandre Jr., Mario de la Peña, and Pablo Morales.
What Happened in 1996
Brothers to the Rescue was a Miami-based exile group that had been dropping leaflets over Havana urging Cubans to rise up against their government. The group had roots in humanitarian work, helping Cuban refugees stranded in the Florida Straits. These were not soldiers. These were volunteers in small planes.
On the day of the attack, three Brothers to the Rescue aircraft departed from Opa-locka Airport in South Florida for a planned humanitarian mission.
Cuban military fighter jets, under the chain of command overseen by then-Defense Minister Raúl Castro, fired air-to-air missiles at two unarmed Cessna 337 Skymaster aircraft while they were flying in international waters.
Read that again. International waters. These planes were not over Cuba. They were shot down in open sky, over open sea, without warning.
The indictment also alleges that Cuba’s intelligence agency tasked a network of spies in Florida with informing on Brothers to the Rescue, and that one spy falsely told the FBI that the group would not be flying that weekend.
The Charges
The indictment charges Castro and five others — including military pilots allegedly involved in the operation — with four counts of murder, two counts of destruction of aircraft, and conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals.
“Over three decades later, we are committed to holding those accountable for the murders of four brave Americans,” said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.
“For the first time in nearly 70 years, senior leadership of the Cuban regime has been charged in the United States for alleged acts of violence resulting in the deaths of American citizens.”
Why This Matters to Conservatives
Limited-government conservatives have long argued that America should stand up for its citizens — and that tyrants should face consequences. For decades, the Castro regime murdered, imprisoned, and terrorized its own people while thumbing its nose at the United States.
Past administrations looked the other way. Some even tried to normalize relations with Havana.
President Trump called the Castro indictment “big news,” describing it as “a big moment” and “a very important day” for Cuban Americans, saying :
“We have Cuba on our mind. Very important.”
“What’s coming next for Cuba?”@POTUS: “We’re going to see. It’s a failing nation, you see that—it’s falling apart… but we’re there to help. We’re there to help the families, the people.” https://t.co/1ybtHqcmsI pic.twitter.com/9BFA3JVfP1
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 20, 2026
This is what accountability looks like. The government has one core job — protect its citizens. When Americans are murdered in international airspace, the federal government has an obligation to act. It took thirty years, but the Trump DOJ acted.
What the Other Side Is Saying
Cuba’s current president, Miguel Díaz-Canel, wasted no time pushing back.
He called the indictment:
“a political action without any legal basis, that only seeks to bolster the case they are fabricating to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba,” and claimed the shootdown was “legitimate self-defense” after repeated violations of Cuba’s airspace.
That’s the communist playbook. Blame the victims. Call justice a conspiracy. Don’t hold your breath waiting for an apology.
Rubio Speaks Directly to the Cuban People
Secretary of State Marco Rubio is the son of Cuban immigrants. This is personal for him. And on Wednesday, he made that clear.
Rubio addressed the Cuban people directly in a video message, telling them:
“The reason you are forced to survive 22 hours a day without electricity is not due to an oil ‘blockade’ by the U.S. As you know, better than anyone, you have been suffering from blackouts for years. The real reason you don’t have electricity, fuel, or food is because those who control your country have plundered billions of dollars, but nothing has been used to help the people.”
🇺🇸🇨🇺 pic.twitter.com/nwEePVJ1lX
— Secretary Marco Rubio (@SecRubio) May 20, 2026
He didn’t stop there. Rubio told Cubans that:
“President Trump is offering a new path between the U.S. and a new Cuba — a new Cuba where you, the ordinary Cuban, and not just GAESA, can own a gas station or a clothing store, or a restaurant.”
That’s not the language of military threat. That’s the language of free market economics and of a life beyond communist control.
Rubio has also argued that Cuba needs sweeping economic and political reforms, and has described the existing regime as led by “incompetent, senile men” who need to go.”
Cuba’s foreign minister fired back, calling Rubio:
“the mouthpiece of corrupt and vengeful interests.”
What Comes Next
An arrest warrant has been issued for Castro. When asked whether the U.S. plans to extradite him or carry out an operation similar to the one in January that captured Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro, Blanche provided no additional details, saying only:
“We expect he will show up here, either by his own will, or another way, and go to prison.”
Castro is 94 years old. Time is not on his side. But the indictment sends a message far beyond one old man. It tells every dictator on the planet that America’s patience runs out eventually.
If you want to support this effort, call your senators and representatives. Tell them to back continued pressure on Cuba. Support Cuban-American organizations that have fought for justice for decades.
And remind anyone who pushes for cozy relations with Havana what happened on February 24, 1996:
Four Americans were murdered in open sky. They deserve justice.
The opinions expressed by contributors are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Nevada News & Views. This article was written with the assistance of AI. Please verify information and consult additional sources as needed.